Song of the Day Podcast
KEXP's Music That Matters Podcast: Morning Show Music Discovery
Live Video: THEESatisfaction
Midnight in a Perfect World
MUSIC + LOVE = KEXP
Today on KEXP: 3/2/2015
|12am||Doug Haire - Sonarchy|
|1am||John Gilbreath - Jazz Theatre|
|3am||DJ Miss Ashley - Variety Mix|
|6am||John Richards - The Morning Show|
|10am||Cheryl Waters - The Midday Show|
|1pm||Stars LIVE on KEXP and Streaming LIVE Video - In-Studio|
|2pm||Kevin Cole - The Afternoon Show|
|6pm||Chilly - El Sonido|
|7pm||A Cedar Suede session on KEXP - In-Studio|
|9pm||DJ Riz - Variety Mix|
Times posted are Pacific TimeComplete Program Guide
Help Support KEXP!
Your purchases that start here support KEXP.
Recent Live Performances
Producer and host Hannah Levin has been covering metal as a print journalist for the better part of a decade and has hosted KEXP’s local music show, Audioasis, since 2007. She fell in love with metal the first time she heard “The Trooper” by Iron Maiden, and has been unable and unwilling to shake her addiction since. Her tastes in modern metal tend towards the angular, arty and math-y, but she also has a fierce affection for the old school, particularly the artists that forged the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. When not engaging in circuitous debates about what is “true metal”, she studies pilates, writes a music column for Seattle Weekly and strives to maintain a Cookie Monster vocal-free zone.
Co-host Tanner Ellison is a digital artist and musician living and working in Seattle. He has been in love with metal since he was a little grub. Tanner has played guitar and done vocals in many terrible punk and metal bands over the years and was a guest DJ for KEXP’s punk show, Sonic Reducer. His tastes range widely from the most awesome crescendos of epic viking power metal to the dregs of the most guttural, brutal, grind your face off death metal. When not sharpening battle axes and hanging out in spooky caves, he shreds on his beat up guitar and draws pictures of dragons and space wizards.
Over the last several years, there’s been a huge influx of progressive, hard-edged artists who have synthesized punk and DIY elements with their love of classic metal, resulting in a gold rush of independent-minded bands with as much brain as brawn. Acts like Pelican, Isis, Mastadon, the Sword, Kylesa, Torche and SunnO)) are all examples of this phenomenon, as is the bumper crop of Northwest artists leading this charge, including Helms Alee, Red Fang, Madraso, Akimbo, the Valley and Mico de Noche.
S&D scours the globe for unearthed gems in all of metal’s subgenres, from thrash and grindcore to death and black metal (the later of which is definitely Tanner’s area of expertise). We also re-examine the classics, from Priest and Motorhead to Venom and Slayer. If you take your rock hard, heavy and brutal, Seek and Destroy will give you the sonic bludgeoning you’ve been craving.
KEXP Live Video Streaming
KEXPNow presents the latest live streaming video experience on Monday, March 2nd with Stars. Watch his live session in real-time! Stay on top of all our upcoming live streaming sessions with the KEXP In-Studio Schedule. Brought to you in part by Portage Bay Café.
Help Power KEXP!
Sign up now to volunteer for KEXP’s 2015 Spring Drive, March 13 - 20th! When you volunteer your time, you play a huge part in helping us meet the goals that keep the music playing. Plus, it’s a great way to get more involved with the KEXP Community and support non-profit radio.
Midnight in a Perfect World
Introducing Midnight in an Perfect World, KEXP’s weekly hour-long guest DJ show, airing Fridays at midnight starting February 21st. This multi-genre program features eclectic sets by a rotating cast of international and local DJ’s, each building upon a party vibe to kick off your weekend. Brought to you in part by New Belgium Brewing.
KEXP Audioasis Benefit Show
On Saturday, March 7th, join us for a special Audioasis Showcase at The Sunset featuring Killer Ghost, UBU ROI, and Versing. Net proceeds benefit Motley Zoo Animal Rescue. Sponsored in part by Office of Arts & Culture and U.S. Bancorp.
KEXP's Non-Profit of the Month
This month, KEXP's featured Community Partnership Organization is Motley Zoo Animal Rescue, a foster-based, volunteer run 501c3 nonprofit that rescues and rehomes pets in need, provides support and education for pet guardians, as well as supports animal welfare education, and spay/neuter advocacy.
Little show. Big effect.
KEXP, STG and Starbucks presented the eleventh show in our Little Big Show concert series with St Paul & the Broken Bones w/ Shaprece & Sean Rowe, at The Neptune on Wednesday, February 18th. 100% of ticket sales benefitted Rain City Rock Camp for Girls. Click here to find out more about our Little Big Show series and the local charity beneficiaries.
Streaming KEXP Online
We have upgraded our streaming infrastructure to serve you better. If you have any issues streaming KEXP, please try the Listen Live! links on the upper left of our homepage first. If you have any further issues, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
John Richards discovers hidden gems in a heavy, vibed edition of our Music That Matters podcast. This week's Song of the Day podcast features Other Lives, The Sidekicks, and The Helio Sequence, and our Live Performances podcast features Museum of Love and Jessica Hernandez and The Deltas.
In Studio Performances
Don't miss upcoming in-studio performances by the great artists you hear everyday on KEXP. Our schedule is updated weekly, so check back often. You can also subscribe to weekly podcasts that bring you a series of complete live in-studio sessions.
KEXP Photo of the Day
Song of the Day Podcasts
A free song every day
- Mar/02The Sidekicks - Deer
- Feb/27Kingdom of the Holy Sun - Getting Higher
- Feb/26The Grizzled Mighty - Chantael
More Songs | Subscribe
Music That Matters
DJ curated mixes
- Music That Matters, Vol. 449 - Morning Show Music Discovery
- Music That Matters, Vol. 448 - Origami Renaissance
- Music That Matters, Vol. 447 - Sound Off!
One-of-a-kind in-studio sessions
- Feb/27Museum of Love
- Feb/25Zola Jesus
- Feb/20Francisco The Man
More Songs | Subscribe | In Studios
View our most recent album reviews
- Purity Ring: Another Eternity - 2/26/2015
- Moon Duo: Shadow Of The Sun - 2/26/2015
- Lady Lamb: After - 2/26/2015
- Matthew E. White: Fresh Blood - 2/26/2015
- Lost Lander: Medallion - 2/26/2015
- Young Guv: Ripe 4 Luv - 2/26/2015
- Jack Ladder & The Dreamlanders: Playmates - 2/26/2015
- Ryley Walker: Primrose Green - 2/26/2015
- The Gift Machine: Hard Facts Are Still Uncertain - 2/26/2015
- THEESatisfaction: EarthEE - 2/20/2015
- Zebra Hunt: City Sighs - 2/20/2015
- Eternal Death: Eternal Death - 2/20/2015
- Dan Deacon: Glass Riffer - 2/20/2015
- Screaming Females: Rose Mountain - 2/20/2015
- Dutch Uncles: O Shudder - 2/20/2015
- The Minus 5: Dungeon Golds - 2/20/2015
- Radical Dads: Universal Colors - 2/20/2015
- The Pop Group: Citizen Zombie - 2/20/2015
- Jose Gonzalez: Vestiges & Claws - 2/13/2015
- Carl Barat & The Jackals: Let It Reign - 2/13/2015
The KEXP Variety Chart (2/06/2015 - 2/12/2015)More Music Charts | Top 90.3 of 2013
- 1. Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear
- 2. Pond - Man It Feels Like Space Again
- 3. The Amazing - Picture You
- 4. Sleater-Kinney - No Cities To Love
- 5. Panda Bear - Panda Bear Meets The Grim Reaper
- 6. The Decemberists - What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World
- 7. Twerps - Range Anxiety
- 8. Belle and Sebastian - Girls in Peacetime Want To Dance
- 9. The Dodos - Individ
- 10. Two Gallants - We Are Undone
- 11. The Districts - A Flourish And A Spoil
- 12. Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
- 13. Hanni El Khatib - Moonlight
- 14. D'Angelo - Black Messiah
- 15. Jose Gonzalez - Vestiges & Claws
- 16. TV on the Radio - Seeds
- 17. Unlikely Friends - Solid Gold Cowboys
- 18. Modest Mouse - Strangers to Ourselves
- 19. Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass
- 20. Bjork - Vulnicura
KEXP Recommended Events
- 3/2/2015 Kim Gordon's Girl In A Band 5:00 PM, Neptune Theatre
- 3/2/2015 Daniel Lanois, Rocco Deluca, Matt Bishop 6:00 PM, Crocodile
- 3/3/2015 Stars 6:00 PM, Neptune Theatre
- 3/4/2015 Caribou with Koreless 5:30 PM, The Showbox
- 3/4/2015 Chimurenga Renaissance 6:00 PM, Barboza
- 3/4/2015 Caribou --Late Show with Koreless 9:00 PM, The Showbox
- 3/5/2015 Rebirth Brass Band - EARLY SHOW 7pm 5:00 PM, The Tractor Tavern
- 3/5/2015 Tom Brosseau, Tomo Nakayama 6:00 PM, Columbia City Theater
- 3/5/2015 MARMALADE, with featured artist of the month - RA Scion 6:00 PM, High Dive
- 3/5/2015 Industrial Revelation 7:00 PM, The Triple Door
- 3/5/2015 Rebirth Brass Band - LATE SHOW 10pm 8:00 PM, The Tractor Tavern
- 3/6/2015 A Benefit for Zandy’s Families 5:30 PM, Columbia City Theater
- 3/6/2015 Ladysmith Black Mambazo 6:00 PM, Neptune Theatre
- 3/6/2015 Charles Bradley, The Ton Tons 6:00 PM, Emerald City Trapeze Arts
- 3/6/2015 Scottish post-punk/indie: The Twilight Sad w/ Port St Willow 7:00 PM, The Tractor Tavern
- 3/6/2015 SEMINARS, Stuporhero (Record Release), Big Crux 7:00 PM, Skylark Cafe & Club
- 3/6/2015 Zebra Hunt Record Release, Detective Agency, and Lures 7:00 PM, The Rendezvous
- 3/7/2015 Seattle Rock Orchestra performs Beck 6:00 PM, The Moore Theatre
- 3/7/2015 Sound Off! Finals 6:00 PM, EMP Museum
- 3/7/2015 Ra Scion w/ special guest Kung Foo Grip 8:00 PM, TMRW Party
- 3/8/2015 Swervedriver with Gateway Drugs 6:00 PM, Neumos
- 3/8/2015 2:54 with HONEYBLOOD 6:00 PM, Barboza
- 3/9/2015 DOOMTREE All Hands Tour with Hellfyre Club + Transit 6:00 PM, Neumos
- 3/9/2015 Wolf Alice 6:00 PM, Barboza
- 3/10/2015 3/10 THE ROUND (#118) - Cumulus, Chris Staples (Barsuk Records), Zach Gore (Brite Lines), Slam poet Ela Barton, live painter. 6:00 PM, Fremont Abbey Arts Center
- 3/11/2015 The Dodos with Springtime Carnivore + Posse 6:00 PM, Neumos
- 3/11/2015 The Juliana Hatfield Three 'Become What You Are' 21 St Anniversary Tour 6:00 PM, The Tractor Tavern
- 3/12/2015 Tweedy 6:00 PM, Neptune Theatre
- 3/12/2015 MARMALADE, with featured artist of the month RA Scion 6:00 PM, High Dive
- 3/12/2015 GravelRoad 7:00 PM, The Triple Door
KEXP.ORG Seattle: Upcoming In-studio Performances
- Stars LIVE on KEXP and Streaming LIVE Video 3/2/2015 1:00pm
- A Cedar Suede session on KEXP 3/2/2015 7:00pm
- Viet Cong LIVE on KEXP 3/3/2015 11:00am
- Restorations LIVE on KEXP 3/3/2015 1:00pm
- Chimurenga Renaissance session on KEXP 3/3/2015 6:30pm
- The Sidekicks LIVE on KEXP 3/4/2015 1:00pm
- The Districts LIVE on KEXP 3/5/2015 9:30am
- The Church session on KEXP 3/5/2015 12:00pm
- DJ Nitty Gritty LIVE DJ Set 3/7/2015 12:00am
- Evening Bell LIVE on KEXP 3/7/2015 6:30pm
- Kindness session on KEXP 3/8/2015 1:00pm
- Swervedriver LIVE on KEXP 3/8/2015 2:00pm
- The Twilight Sad session on KEXP 3/9/2015 12:00pm
- Doomtree LIVE on KEXP and Streaming LIVE Video 3/9/2015 2:00pm