10 Days, 10 Pianos, 10 Parks. That's the theme of this year's Pianos in the Parks campaign! KEXP is proud to once again sponsor this city initiative to bring music into the hundreds of Seattle and King County parks and open spaces.
Just like in previous years, reclaimed pianos will be procured, repaired, tuned, transported and maintained by Classic Pianos, painted by student, alumni and faculty artists of Gage Academy of Art, and then placed in a public park around the city. Unlike previous years, this time the pianos will appear for one day only, from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM, starting on Friday, July 8th and ending on Sunday, July 17th. For all ten days, there will also be artist-designed pianos stationed in the Gathering Space at KEXP and in Sea-Tac Airport’s Concourse C. For a sneak preview of all the piano masterpieces, stop by KEXP's Gathering Space on Thursday, July 7th from 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM, where all the pianos will be on display before their journeys to 10 parks and public spaces across Bellevue, Mercer Island, Seattle, and throughout King County.
• Kerry Park Viewpoint (July 8) on Queen Anne Hill; piano title: Graphic Melody; artist: J. Adam BrinsonIn the meanwhile, check out this video of Ben Watt of Everything but the Girl with guitarist Bernard Butler (Suede, Modest Mouse) playing the exclusive KEXP piano from last year's Pianos in the Park initiative below. See you in the park!
• Kubota Garden (July 9) in Rainier Valley; piano title: Galum Alux; artist: Ovidio Cartagena
• Sammamish River Trail (July 10) in Redmond; piano title: Love is in the Air . . . Chance Encounters; artist: Sophia Lael
• Golden Gardens (July 11) in Ballard; piano title: Talking at the Same Time; artist: Joseph Brooks
• Crossroads Park (July 12) in Bellevue; piano title: Paisley Piano – A Tribute to Prince; artist: Brandy Tomlin
• Westlake Park (July 13) in Downtown Seattle; piano title: Dancin’ Keys; artist: Barbi Leifert
• Luther Burbank Park (July 14) on Mercer Island; piano title: Crossings; artist: Cynthia Wessling
• Tolt-MacDonald Park (July 15) in Carnation; piano title: Sway Alive; artist: Cassie Murphy
• Chism Beach Park (July 16) in Bellevue; piano title: Imaginary Piano; artist: Karina Kudinova
• Alki Beach Park (July 17) in West Seattle; piano title: Nostalgic Tides; artist: Brittany Carchano
We can't hardly wait for this hootenanny of an event! If you will dare, join us in the KEXP Gathering Space on Wednesday, July 20th as we welcome Bob Mehr, author of Trouble Boys: the True Story of The Replacements, with special guest, Peter Jesperson, former Replacements manager and co-founder o...
Renovations at Pier 62 aren't over yet, but live music at the waterfront is already back! Join us for a FREE all-ages event on Saturday, July 2nd, from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM at Waterfront Park (that's 1401 Alaskan Way, between the Great Wheel and the Aquarium).