GET OUT OF THEIR WAY! This Saturday, April 19th is the seventh annual Record Store Day, and KEXP DJs are planning their attack! Record labels are planning special vinyl and CD releases for the day to help celebrate independently-owned record stores around the world. What's on your shopping list this year? KEXP DJs share their picks below.
And be sure to tune in to The Afternoon Show on KEXP today at 3:00 PM PT to hear some of these tracks first! DJ Kevin Cole will be joined by Matt Vaughan from Easy Street Records to preview many of these releases.
• Mudhoney — Mudhoney On Top: KEXP Presents Mudhoney Live on Top of the Space Needle LP• Joy Division -- An Ideal For Living• The Cure/Dinosaur Jr. -- Side by Side Series• Creedence Clearwater Revival -- The 1969 Singles• Devo -- Live at Max's Kanas City-Nov 15, 1977
Cheryl Waters, host of The Midday Show, airing Monday through Friday, 10AM-2PM:
Merchandise / Destruction Unit / Milk Music -- USA '13 split 12" Vinyl [540 Records; limited to 2,000 copies]
Stevie Zoom, variety mix host every Saturday and Sunday from Noon-3PM.:
• Dillinger, Trinity, Wayne Wade, Al Campbell, Junior Tamlin -- Five Man Army LP [King Spinna Records/Oak Sound]
• Drive-By Truckers -- Dragon Pants 10" vinyl EP [ATO Records]
• ??? – SIDE BY SIDE SERIES 7″ vinyl [mystery artist]
John Gilbreath, host of Jazz Theater:
Sam Cooke -- Ain't That Good News 12" Vinyl [ABKCO]
Masa, one of the hosts of Expansions, on the air Sunday nights from 9PM-midnight:
• Mayer Hawthorne/Shintaro Sakamoto -- Wine Glass Woman/In A PhantomCovering each other on another exclusive expensive 7" single!
• Joy Division -- An Ideal For Living (1978)I already have 7", 12", and 12" picture disc of them but this is 2010 remastered pressing...... so kind do want it.....
• Nino Rota -- Amarcord (soundtrack to 1973 Fellini film)Actually what I really want is La Dolce Vita pressed on silver wax but this is still pretty cool....
• Alexander Robotnick -- Vintage Robotnick• V/A -- Electroconvulsive Therapy Vol. 2Both Medical Records releases are awesome and this maybe your very last chance to own them on colored vinyl!
Abe Beeson, fill-in DJ:
I don't want anyone to know what my pick is, because I want that record to still be there when I get through the mob of shoppers! That said, it's probably the Glow-in-the-Dark Ghostbusters Theme reissue from Ray Parker Jr.
Sean, variety mix host, Thursday morning from 1AM -6AM.:
• Oneohtrix Point Never -- Commissions I (Warp)• The Moles -- Flashbacks and Dream Sequences: The Story of The Moles (Fire)• Teenage Filmstars -- (There's a) Cloud over Liverpool (Munster)• V/A -- Dance Mania Revival Traxx (Strut)• Peter Zummo -- Lateral Pass (Foom)
Kid Hops, host of Positive Vibrations, on the air Saturday mornings, 9AM-noon, and one of the hosts of Expansions, on the air Sunday nights, 9pm-midnight:
• Dillinger, Trinity, Wayne Wade, Al Campbell, Junior Tamlin -- Five Man Army 12" Vinyl [King Spinna] --- "Baaad tune!!!"• Badbadnotgood -- Can't Leave The Night/Sustain 12" Vinyl [Innovative Leisure] --- "New BBNG....on wax!!!"• Eric B. & Rakim -- Paid in Full 7" Vinyl [Get On Down, RSD Limited Run / Regional Focus Release] -- "Stone-cold classsssssic!"• Gregory Isaacs -- Mr. Know It All / War Of The Stars 12" Vinyl [Blood And Fire/VP Records, RSD Limited Run / Regional Focus Release] -- "The long-awaited return of Blood & Fire!!!!!!!!"
DJ Mr. Smith, fill-in DJ:
Things I'll want to at least hold in my hand and look at –- though I may only actually buy the three in bold. I’ll be looking for deals on collectable vinyl instead... • Grant Hart - Every Everything: The Music, Life, and Times of Grant Hart(Documentary is supposed to be killer. I’ve been hearing awesome stuff about his shows supporting this.)• Soundgarden -- Superunknown: The Singles (My favorite “grunge” band.)• Tame Impala - Live Versions• Devo - Live At Max's Kansas City--November 15, 1977• Nirvana - Pennyroyal Tea/I Hate Myself and Want To Die (Fettish)• Donny Hathaway - Live At The Bitter End 1971• Disclosure – Apollo (One of my faves from last year) If you don’t already own a copy. Please snag one for yourself now!!! • The Velvet Underground – Loaded (Essential, of course)• The Zombies - Odyssey and Oracle (The record that keeps getting better)• Joy Division - An Ideal For Living (1978; Not that you’ll ever want to actually listen to the whole thing)• Husker Du - Candy Apple Grey (Their best major label record)• Of Montreal - Satanic Panic 10th Anniversary (Already? Seems too soon.)• Jorma Kaukonen – Quah (Underrated! One of the best lazy weekend record ever)• Fleetwood Mac - Dragonfly/The Purple Dancer (Killer single that sounds like nothing else they ever did. Between Peter Green and Bob Welch years.) • The Doors - Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine (Thee Best Doors Compilation EVER – and they have a million of ‘em. Killer cuts, rather than hits.)
Nate Prudhon, fill-in DJ:
1. Modern American Music…Period! (The Criteria Tapes) by Jaco Pastorius2. Unplugged: The Complete 1991 and 2001 Sessions by R.E.M.3. The Porpoise Song by Django Django4. The Air Is On Fire by David Lynch5. Ready Boys & Girls by Tears For Fears6. Side By Side Series by Devo/The Flaming Lips7. 7 Skies H3 by The Flaming Lips8. Deerhoof/Ceramic Dog split by Deerhoof & Ceramic Dog9. I Want You Back by Chad Vangaalen10. Live at Brixton by Mastodon11. Live Versions by Tame Impala12. Butch Devo and the Sundance Gig by Devo13. Live at Royal Albert Hall by Foals14. The Long Goodbye (LCD Soundsystem Live At Madison Square Garden) by LCD Soundsystem15. Wes Montgomery & The Montgomery-Johnson Quintet and Live At The Turf Club by Wes Montgomery & The Montgomery-Johnson Quintet16. Loaded by The Velvet Underground17. † (One), †† (Two), and ††† (Three) by ††† (Crosses)18. The Way of All Flesh by Gojira
This Saturday’s Record Store Day will be kind of like the Easter egg hunt for me and my fellow music lovers and record collecting geeks. We’ll gleefully race down the aisles in search of that colorful surprise and treat. And, this year there are plenty of goodies — rarities, long out-of-print re-...